Introducing the Busby Berkeley Blogathon!
Hometowns to Hollywood is thrilled to present its first official blogathon, entitled “The Busby Berkeley Blogathon.” Busby Berkeley was an American director and choreographer known for devising elaborate musical production numbers that often involved complex geometric patterns. His works used large numbers of showgirls and props as fantasy elements in kaleidoscopic on-screen performances. The Busby Berkeley Blogathon will run from January 25th through January 28th in 2018.
Rules and Information:
- Bloggers are encouraged to write about any topic related to Busby Berkeley’s career and choreography in films.
- Bloggers can feel free to write about a favorite Berkeley number, favorite stars who appear in his expertly-choreographed numbers, or any topic of interest that relates to Berkeley.
- Because Berkeley had such a rich career and there are so many aspects of his work that are worth discussing. Where possible, try to avoid duplicate topics.
- Bloggers will post their articles anytime between January 25th-28th and will alert me of the post either as a comment or through email.
- If you would like to participate in the Busby Berkeley Blogathon, please comment below or email me and let me know your name, topic choice, and the link to your blog.
- Please take one of the Busby Berkeley Blogathon banners and include it in your post. You can feel free to link the image back to this page.
- Bloggers will also have the option of participating in an eBook at the end of this blogathon, with all proceeds going to the National Film Preservation Foundation.
List of Participants and Topics:
- 42nd Street (1933) | Hometowns to Hollywood
- Babes in Arms (1939) | Once Upon a Screen
- Busby Berkeley’s Choreography: Geometric Goldmine | Outspoken and Freckled
- Busby Berkeley and Esther Williams | Love Letters to Old Hollywood
- Busby Berkeley and the Mickey Rooney-Judy Garland Films | Phyllis Loves Classic Movies
- Busby Berkeley and Ruby Keeler | Wolffian Classic Movies Digest
- Busby Berkeley in Color | Critica Retro
- Cabin in the Sky (1943) | The Midnite Drive-In
- Choreographic Favorites | The Wonderful World of Cinema
- Comet Over Broadway (1938) | A Viewer’s Guide to Classic Films
- Dames (1934) | Silver Screenings
- The Filming of Girl Crazy (1943) | Chuck Pickerill
- Footlight Parade (1933) | Old Hollywood Films
- For Me and My Gal (1942) | Vitaphone Dreamer
- The Gang’s All Here (1943) | Way Too Damn Lazy to Write a Blog
- Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933) | Gingerology
- Hollywood Hotel (1937) | LA Explorer
- “Lullaby of Broadway” in Gold Diggers of 1935 (1935) | Second Sight Cinema
I look forward to a fabulous Busby Berkeley Blogathon in January as we celebrate all things Berkeley!